forest

forest

Sunday, November 15, 2015

broken record.

Someone please explain to me how it's possible to fall in love with someone
who hasn't quite fallen in love with you yet.
And someone please explain to me 
why the beatings of my heart 
are synchronized to yours
and yet the beatings of your heart 
don't quite match up to mine.
Because I've tried for years to somehow
 change the pattern so that one day 
we could dance to the matching rhythm. 

But you've never been much of a dancer. 

You've always been jealous of the way mine sounded.
Because your heartbeat seemed to always be out of tune.
And so you borrowed mine and never gave it back.

And that would explain why my heart keeps beating 
but no longer sounds the same.
Because now my heartbeats are a little irregular.
And now the heartbeats are dragging
and they're a little delayed.
Now they're a little out of tune 
and a little overused.

And each heartbeat hurts a little more than the last.
And now each heartbeat comes 
with the thought of you.

And now my heartbeats don't match the innocent melody.
Instead they match the crooning cry of a jazz lullaby.
And the words it sings no longer seem to be smiling.

And I tried changing my song for you.
But you were never willing to match yours to mine.

And I'm a little embarrassed by how many nights 
I've spent awake trying to rewrite the music.
But you were never willing to learn how to harmonize
 to my tragic melody.

And my heart's now a broken record.
And the only audible line is
"I love you."
And its always been your favorite.
Because you were intrigued by the scratches
and the irregularity of the tune.
The irregularity that matched up with my broken heartbeat.


The heartbeat you enjoyed breaking.
The broken heartbeat you were never able to figure out.

But don't you worry.
Because my heart no longer sings for you.
And my heart no longer beats for you.
Because I've found my rhythm.
And my broken lyrics now match perfectly to my broken heartbeat.
But at least I can carry a tune.

Because baby, my heart doesn't sing for you. 











9 comments:

  1. You've always been jealous of the way mine sounded.
    Because your heartbeat seemed to always be out of tune.
    And so you borrowed mine and never gave it back
    FREAKING STOLEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the words it sings no longer seem to be smiling.

    but oh my gosh, the ending. PREACH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone please explain to me how it's possible to fall in love with someone
    who hasn't quite fallen in love with you yet.

    SAME.
    Also, love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "why the beatings of my heart
    are synchronized to yours
    and yet the beatings of your heart
    don't quite match up to mine."

    uhhh that hit me. hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And I'm a little embarrassed by how many nights
    I've spent awake trying to rewrite the music.
    But you were never willing to learn how to harmonize
    to my tragic melody."
    #stolen
    This is seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and by ouch i mean this was way good and whoever this is about should read it. (but once i wrote a poem for someone and showed it to them and it didn't go over well)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just related to this a lot. okay I'm done haha

    ReplyDelete